6.27.2014

Luke's Birth Story

Well folks, we had our baby! Luke Daniel was born Saturday, June 21, at 7:11 p.m. weighing in at 8 lbs. 6 oz. 21 3/4 in. long. So many people have asked me how my birth went, so I figured I would kill hundreds of birds with one stone..aka a long blog post!

Well it all started Saturday morning around 12:30 a.m. when I woke up and the bed was soaked, I knew right then, Oh no, my water had broken!! I didn't want my labor to start by my water breaking because I was Group B Strep Positive which meant I had to go to the Birth Center every 4 hours during my labor to get an IV of antibiotics and that also meant I was on a time clock to get him out or I would have to be transferred to the hospital. So, I called my midwife and let her know my water had broken and we met her at the Birth Center about 3 am. I wasn't having contractions at that point and was only 1 cm. dilated, so I was told to go get a milkshake and mix 4 oz. of Castor Oil in it and take two Benadryl and get some rest. Oh, and by the way, Castor Oil is supposed to be "odorless and tasteless"...yeah, fail. That was SO gross! My midwife told me I had 12 hours to get into active labor (6-7 cm.) So the game was on!

After 4 hours (7 am), my contractions started and we went back to the birth center to get checked again. I was now at 3 cm. The birth center doesn't admit you until you're at 6 cm. so back home we went again. This time my instructions were to walk, use my breast pump, and rest. The contractions were still bearable, I was listening to my hypnobirthing cd trying to relax as much as possible. One thing I always wanted to know when I was pregnant was how were the contractions going to feel. The best way I can explain it is a tightening cramp that lasts for about a minute and goes away. I was also told by a friend to try to sleep between every contraction. That was the very best advice, and I definitely fell asleep in between almost every one! Fast forward to 4 hours later (11 am), we went back to the birth center to get my 3rd round of antibiotics and get re-checked..I was really praying to hear the magic number 6 cm. so we didn't have to drive 30 minutes back home again...but to my horror I was still only 3 cm. :( I was starting to get really discouraged and remember thinking I guess I can't do this...

When I got home we went for a long walk and the contractions started getting stronger and more regular. I laid down and tried to focus on allowing my body to open and relax. Four or so hours later, (4 pm) we went back to the birth center, and all the way there I was praying I was at least 6 cm. When she checked me I was at 7 cm! My husband literally cried in relief! I really don't remember much after this point, besides that my contractions were getting hard and it was definitely getting harder to relax. Once I was checked in and knew I was staying and this was actually going to happen and soon, my endorphins kicked in and I went into "labor land." Soon, my sounds started changing and my midwife came in and filled the pool up. I was so shocked they were filling the pool up, because I knew my midwife didn't use it until I was in transition, so I got super happy that I knew I was getting closer!

My husband got in the tub with me and fed me popsicles, and rubbed my feet and legs. After a while laboring in the pool, I remember telling them I felt like I was going to go to the bathroom in the pool, and at that point they got me out and my midwife came in and checked me on the bed. I was at 10 cm!! I remember telling my husband, "Seriously? That was it? I can do this, if that was the worst part of it!" I was SO relieved that I was ready to push. I instantly got a second wind and started pushing! By this time it was around 6:30 pm. I pushed for 30 min, and he was born at 7:11 pm! When he came out, it was worst and best pain I had ever felt. But it was such a relief and I felt great right after it was over.

Honestly, it was hard, but I thought it was going to be so much worse than it really was. I prayed to God to relieve my pain and relax me throughout the whole entire 17 hours. I truly think that He did give me mercy and helped me deal with the pain. My mom said I was laughing and smiling when I was pushing...The human body is unreal! I was definitely high on my own body's natural hormones!

The reason I was able to have him so easily I think was because I had a phenomenal birth team. My husband was the best coach I could of ever asked for. He was there for every contraction, rubbing my back, holding my hand, putting a heating pad on my back, getting me cold rags for my head and neck, timing my contractions, telling me I was doing great and that I could do it. My mom was also a lifesaver, she drove us back and forth 4 times and put 125 miles on her truck that day. My mom held my legs for all 30 minutes of me pushing! She was front and center with the midwives. The midwives were amazing. I couldn't have done it without them for sure. Amy, stretched me with olive oil and made sure I didn't tear or rip. (I didn't, thank God!)

When Luke came out, they immediately put him on my chest and I have never felt so much love in my whole entire life. My husband and I looked at each other and instantly bursted in tears that we made such a beautiful baby. We began praising God for his safety and health. I just remember looking down at him and feeling such an overwhelming love. It is SO true that you quickly forget all of the pain once you see your baby's sweet face. I truly had my dream birth and I am so glad I didn't listen to all the nay-sayers and negative nancys! Birth is natural and beautiful! I wouldn't change a thing about my birth, I am so glad I chose to have him out of a hospital! If you are interested in why I chose this type of birth read my post on Why I Want a Natural Birth.

We went home 3 hours later and we slept through the whole night and woke up to Luke spitting up very dark brown spit up and working really hard to breathe. I called my midwife and she encouraged us to take him to the hospital since it was Sunday and no pediatricians were in. We took him to Shands in Gainesville, and on the way, he started turning blue in his car seat, so we stopped at the fire station and the EMTs gave him some oxygen and drove us the rest of the way to the ER. This was the scariest moment in my whole life. When we got to Shands, they took him and started doing every test under the sun. Standard procedure if an infant comes in with any breathing problems, they have to stay for 48 hours and test for all infections. So, we spent the next two days in the hospital and were discharged with the diagnosis that it was just acid reflux from him swallowing some of my blood coming out of the birth canal. I am thankful we went to Shands though, because while we were there we found out Luke was tongue-tied and that's why I was having such a hard and painful time breastfeeding. So we got his tongue clipped and he started feeding SO much better since then! It was quite a crazy couple of days, but we are finally home and Luke is doing great! Thank you for all your prayers!

Here are some pictures of the birth! Our photographer was amazing!

 photo LukeDaniel20.jpg

 photo LukeDaniel712.jpg

 photo LukeDaniel132.jpg

 photo LukeDaniel204.jpg

 photo LukeDaniel206.jpg

 photo LukeDaniel256.jpg

 photo LukeDaniel307.jpg

 photo LukeDaniel311.jpg

 photo LukeDaniel346.jpg

 photo LukeDaniel365.jpg

 photo LukeDaniel405.jpg

 photo LukeDaniel454.jpg

post signature

20 comments :

  1. I saw the pictures on Instagram. CONGRATS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe! What a cutie! I love the pictures! They really capture all the emotion and joy!

    Enter the ILY Couture Giveaway on my blog!
    http://kacieskloset.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on a healthy, beautiful baby boy! God certainly has blessed you and your husband. All the best!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, thank you for this post!!! You have REALLY helped me confirm my decision to have a natural water birth when my husband and I have children. Both of our families have a history of long, heavier babies so I was still a little hesitant about the pain when it came time to push, but God through you has eased my mind. My husband totally supports my decision, and we are planning on taking the Bradley Method classes. I would love to know what classes you took, the books you found helpful, and how much your insurance covered. (I live in Florida, so the same policies should apply for us.) I am more excited and at peace about our decision so thank you again. I know God, my husband, and our future midwives will see me through

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, thank you for this post!!! You have REALLY helped me confirm my decision to have a natural water birth when my husband and I have children. Both of our families have a history of long, heavier babies so I was still a little hesitant about the pain when it came time to push, but God through you has eased my mind. My husband totally supports my decision, and we are planning on taking the Bradley Method classes. I would love to know what classes you took, the books you found helpful, and how much your insurance covered. (I live in Florida, so the same policies should apply for us.) I am more excited and at peace about our decision so thank you again. I know God, my husband, and our future midwives will see me through

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful story. If they didn't tell you at the hospital make sure that you do stretches for his tongue so it doesn't heal back. Just got my son's done about a month ago and the stretched made a world of difference.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way to go, Mama! :) I'm so glad that everything went well! Congrats to you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so happy for you! So glad God was with you and you had a wonderful birth experience. Enjoy your time with baby Luke :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Born on his due date! Congratulations to you and entire family, and so glad he was able to have that procedure done so quickly. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How beautiful! Congratulations! Wow, that is scary when Luke wasn't doing well but I am so glad you got help immediately and help with the nursing! That will make things much easier.
    God bless this early days for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the story TFS! I'v never heard of a newborn being tongue tied before. so thankful for u & family! Beautiful Baby!
    Tina
    mombjl

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! Rest and enjoy your beautiful baby boy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations! My youngest just turned four yesterday and we didn't know he had a tongue tie til he was THREE. Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness, thank you for this post!!! You have REALLY helped me confirm my decision to have a natural water birth when my husband and I have children. Both of our families have a history of long, heavier babies so I was still a little hesitant about the pain when it came time to push, but God through you has eased my mind. My husband totally supports my decision, and we are planning on taking the Bradley Method classes. I would love to know what classes you took, the books you found helpful, and how much your insurance covered. (I live in Florida, so the same policies should apply for us.) I am more excited and at peace about our decision so thank you again. I know God, my husband, and our future midwives will see me through

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations! I also had my baby with Amy at the Ocala Birth Center. It was amazing! So glad everything went well : )

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats and God bless your family. I am so thankful your labor and delivery went well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulatiosns. He is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It was a beautiful birth! I was honored to be able to capture those memories for you!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! Thank you so much for taking time to look at my blog! XOXO