But this post is for the 20-somethings who were reached in a good Bible-believing church.
Don't slap the hand that fed you.
When I say that, I mean don't forget who helped you have the good life you have today. Of course God is the reason we have everything we have, but also don't get too big for the people who influenced you and invested in your life. You didn't get where you are by your own doing. Your parents, your Pastors, your Pastor's wives, your teachers, your deacons, all had a part in making you into YOU. No matter where you go in life, always remember that and stay thankful for the church that reached you and your family.
I am thankful that my church taught me how to…
1. Be saved. Obviously the most important decision any one can ever make is to know that they are on their way to Heaven. I am eternally grateful to my Pastor's wife, who shared the gospel with me as a 10 year old girl.
2. Walk with God. After I was saved, I was taught by my Youth Pastor how to have a personal relationship with God. I was given devotions, bible reading schedules, prayer lists, and so many tools that helped me learn how to talk to God on a daily basis.
3. Win Souls. When I was 15, my Youth Pastor's wife took me out door to door soul-winning with her, and taught me how to share the Gospel with people. I was so excited to learn how to help people know how to go to Heaven. When I went to Bible college, I was thankful I was taught how to win people to the Lord.
4. Surrender to God's Will. When I was in 10th grade, I felt like God wanted me to serve Him full time. I am so thankful I was taught how to surrender my own selfish dreams and follow God.
5. Influence Others. When I was a teenager, I caught the heart beat of my Pastor and Youth Pastor which was to change lives. I didn't want to just win people to the Lord, I wanted to learn how to disciple them to do the same, Go, Win, Baptize, and Teach.
6. Stay Pure. In the Youth Group, I heard so many sermons on purity. I am so thankful that I was taught that my body was meant to be saved for my husband and ONLY him. I never would have been able to walk down the aisle in a white dress if it wasn't for my church teaching me what the Bible says about purity.
7. Have a Heart for Missions. When I was 15 and 18, I got the opportunity to go on two missions trips. I went to Romania and Thailand. Those trips forever changed my life. I am still thankful for the experiences.
8. Have a Good Marriage. Growing up, I had many great examples of Godly marriages to learn from. I believe that is one reason why I have a phenomenal marriage now.
9. Tithe. When I received my first paycheck, I was excited to give my 10% back to God. I am thankful I was taught that tithing is not a terrible chore, but instead it's a chance for me to show God how much I love him and an opportunity to lay up treasures in Heaven.
10. Use My Talents for God's Glory. I am thankful my music director taught me how to use my talents of singing for the glory of God.