7.20.2015

Modest Maven Monday: Lauren

 photo ABM_1433214069.jpg

Today is the last week of our Modest Maven Monday series! I've really enjoyed it, and I will be thinking of more ways to incorporate my fellow ModMod ladies in more posts! Today's lady is one of my FAVORITE fashionistas! Lauren is SO stylish and resourceful with her wardrobe! I wish I could dress half as good as she does!

 photo 11741783_10153542983724668_2137754697_n.jpg

Hi ModMod ladies! I’m Lauren Shaffer, and I’m really excited (honored) to be the ModMod Maven this week. I was added by my beautiful friend, Rachel Stene two years ago, and have thoroughly enjoyed participating in this inspiring page! I’ve always loved fashion, but I believe ModMod has really helped me to improve my style! I’m inspired daily by all of you, so thank you!

I grew up in a military family, moving every 2 years and traveling the world. I’m the oldest of 5, and thankfully grew up in a Christian home, where being in God’s House was a priority. I was saved at the age of 16, after making several false professions as a young child. It wasn’t until I was 16 that the Lord really showed my MY sin, and how awful MY wickedness was before a holy and righteous God. I was sick and tired of my sin, and truly wanted the Lord to have control of my life. I went forward one Sunday in October, wanting the Lord and none of me, I repented of my sins and turned to Christ in faith that He would save me and He did! I’m so thankful to say that I truly am a “new creature in Christ, all things have passed away and all things have become new!” Praise the Lord for his goodness!!

I met my amazing husband when my family moved to North Dakota. I noticed him right away, but I never played the game of “trying to get the guy.” We became friends and instantly recognized that we had a lot in common. I moved away to Europe, but the Lord had bigger and better plans. He moved me back to ND and really orchestrated everything in my husband and I getting married. I feel like our story could be a beautiful romantic novel, but I won’t go there right now. Suffice it to say, I’m crazy about my husband aka Mr. Incredible – he still gives me butterflies, brings so much joy to my life, and treats me better than I deserve! I married the perfect man for me and couldn’t be happier!!!! These past 9 years and 2 sweet boys later have been beyond my wildest dreams. Ladies, wait for God’s Mr. Right – he WILL be more than you ever could’ve imagined for yourself!

I’m a SAHM and wife and LOVE it, but I also am a photographer. I love being creative and expressing myself through photography. It’s my passion and I love it, getting paid for it is just a bonus!! My favorite subjects are my sweet sons – Landon and Trevyn (they’re 2 & 3 so they keep me on my toes!)

Picking a favorite outfit is like picking a favorite child – can’t do it! So, I just went with one of my many favs.

I tend to be pretty chatty so I’m trying to keep this as concise as possible…a few fashion tips?

1. Ok, so let’s talk about your hair. It if doesn’t look good, it won’t matter how cute your outfit is! I learned a long time ago that investing in a good stylist and products is a must! It’s AMAZING how blah you can feel when your hair isn’t at its best. You don’t have to have “great” hair to look good, just getting regular trims can make a HUGE difference. I pay more for my cut/color but I have found that I’m able to go longer between salon visits….and yes, I literally feel like hugging my stylist when I see her! A good haircut can make you feel like a million bucks (not that I know what that feels like, but I’m pretty sure it’s the same feeling that I feel when I step out of my salon with new hair)

2. Mix up your own wardrobe to create countless new outfits! You’ll be surprised at what will often look fabulous together! This is a great way to modernize pieces that could look less than fabulous otherwise. Sometimes the best way to make a piece shine, is to mix it up with other great pieces.

3. A helpful tip that I’ve found is to take photos of my outfits and keep them in an album on my phone (or a Pinterest board) for a quick reference on what to wear. I don’t know about you, but as a busy mom, my mind is often going in a billion directions. It’s SO easy to forget what you paired with what especially if you mix up your wardrobe a lot. I helped my mom with this as well and she says it has been such a help for her to have a quick go to reference of what she has in her closet!

4. Try Goodwill first, seriously. Money saver! Most of my wardrobe is thrifted, but the key is to thrift good quality clothing. I’ve found amazing name brands at thrift store prices.

5. Your clothes are tools -use proper fit and the right style for your body to create illusions of a smaller/slimmer you. Use your clothes to detract from problem areas and modestly highlight your nice areas.

6. It’s all in the details – sometimes simply tucking in a shirt, adding a belt, statement necklace, or scarf can drastically change your look and take your outfit to a whole new level! Take an extra moment to be detailed.

7. (Parroting Stacy London) – Incorporate pattern, texture, color, and shine to make an interesting outfit.

8. Have confidence (not arrogance)– it’s an attractive quality!! A great outfit can make you feel confident and when you feel confident, you’re more apt to reach out to others. Life is about others. So yeah, a nice outfit can literally improve your relationships with others. Take care of yourself so that you can be a blessing to those around you.

9. Don’t forget to smile! It sounds so cliché’ but it’s SO true! Everything we do communicates to others and 80% is non verbal. A smile communicates A LOT! Let’s portray our joy of the Lord! True beauty does shine from within and that beauty comes from a right relationship with the Lord. When we’re right with Him, He can use us to minister to others and share His gospel with a lost and dying world. A good outfit helps our outside to mirror the inside.

10. Life too short to look frumpy! Let’s look our best and live for Christ!

See you all around ModMod!

~Lauren


post signature

1 comment :

  1. #9 is my favorite. They say to have such a nice smile so that when strangers see it, they wish they were your friend.

    http://stilllearning72.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! Thank you so much for taking time to look at my blog! XOXO